Tuesday, February 12, 2008

First Classes

Dobrý den!
So we started learning Czech yesterday, it is just as difficult to pronounce as I thought it would be. My current issue is the number four (spelled čtyři). It is pronounced something like schtearzji. I like the professor though. I think we will learn a lot pretty fast with her. Although the numbers are really difficult to understand. Its not so hard to pronounce them, but when I hear them half of them sound the same. We also had a very boring lecture on Czech history today. Perhaps it would not have been so bad if it had not been 3 hours long. Admittedly it was more interesting than the visit to the National Library, which was decidedly dull. The professor who took us there was really nice, I cannot recall his name. I may or may not have him for one of my classes. He was very earnest about his love of the library (which made me feel a bit bad about being bored).

On Friday afternoon I walked up to Prague castle. Its extremely difficult to take a good picture of because it is surrounded by another building and you cannot see the whole thing until you are about 30 feet from the entrance (not a good place to take a picture of a tall building). It was really beautiful out, and I wish my camera took better dusk pictures. I really do love this city.
The weekend was pretty relaxed. We went to an Irish pub in Old Town square on Saturday. It was nice, but there were too many of us to fit comfortably at a table. We briefly went to a bar called Bombay, but it was really crowded and no one really wanted to stay, so we walked home. Its a pretty long walk back to our apartment. Luckily it was a nice night out, and walking with people is usually fun regardless of how far you have to walk.
I am still looking forward to real classes starting, but I am glad to have something to do during the day besides sight seeing. I am a little worried about how our three hour long classes will be. If they are much like the lecture today I will definitely struggle to pay attention. My attention wanes after about an hour and half. I guess we will see. Hopefully they will be interesting enough classes to keep my attention.

xxx

1 comment:

Gannet Girl said...
This comment has been removed by the author.