Sunday, March 9, 2008

Class?

There is something about having classes for 3 hours 1 day a week that makes you feel as if you never have class. Yes, it is the same amount of class as if you had it for 1 hour 3 days a week, but it doesn't feel the same. Especially when your classes are clustered on 3 days a week (and one of those days you only have 1 class). Of course, now that we have some reading and homework to do, I feel a bit more like I am going to school. On the other hand, my weekends are longer than my week...

I am enjoying my classes with the exception of my class on cultural perspectives. The professor, who I am sure (based on his name dropping habit) is very well read and has had the benefit of an excellent education, has some very bad habits. One: the name dropping. He cannot go more than 5 seconds without referencing a philosopher he has read, a well known academic he has studied under, or a friend who is "an expert" in some field. It often feels as if he feels the need to list these people because he is afraid that without them we will not trust what he says. Truthfully it just makes him look insecure, especially when he feels the need to use Kant as support for his attendance policy. Two: isn't it? aren't they? He tends to finish any statement with one of those two phrases (again making him seem very insecure). Three: making up words. He ads the endings "-ality" and "-ization" to words that they should not be added to. Correct me if I am wrong, but I do not believe that "disciplinarizations," "fascinatingness," or "valuality" are in fact words. He tends to use words with -ality or -ization endings so much, that even the words that are real start to feel fake because he uses the endings too much. Okay. thats enough venting.

In the interest of not having class, spring break starts this weekend! Kelsey and I are going to Budapest, where we plan to meet up with Dylan who we met in the hostel in Paris. Then we also plan to make out way down to Croatia if possible. I am very excited. I am also really glad that we are not going to countries that use the euro :)

Kelsey's computer is broken so I can't upload pictures to picasa for a little while. Here is a picture of us at St. Patrick's Cathedral. ( Left to Right: Alyssa, Me, Kelsey, Alison, Kate).

No comments: