Saturday, March 1, 2008

Ireland

We came to Ireland on Thursday and it has been wonderful. On the flight to Dublin Kelsey and I met a Canadian guy who is teaching in Prague right now. We were very pleased to make a friend on the plane (I think it makes it feel like you did not waste those two hours of your life). We had a hostel for Thursday, but we did not know where we were staying the rest of the weekend. Luckily we met up with Hannah's friend Kelly and his friends and they have graciously allowed us to stay with them in exchange for buying electricity cards (apparently you have to buy electricity cards if you want to have electricity in your dorm room).
Thursday night we went out to a couple pubs with Kelly and company for Alison's birthday. We had a lot of fun. Yesterday we did the hop on hop off bus tour of Dublin. We saw Dublin Castle, Trinity College, Christchurch, St. Patrick's Cathedral, the Guinness Storehouse and probably some things I don't recall. All the grass is super green, its amazing. Then we went out to Indian food which was really good. After that we went to Kelly's. We hung out with his friends for the evening, it was really nice. His friend Shane was incredibly helpful and sweet. I didn't get to see the girls we stayed with very much, but they are also wonderful.
Today we went on a bus tour of the Irish countryside. We went to Glendalough (I am not sure I spelled that correctly) and Avoca. It was a beautiful day (a bit cold and windy though). Ireland looks exactly how you imagine it, we even saw a rainbow! There were plenty of sheep, and some shaggy ponies, and cows. We did not see any wild goats, but they apparently have those too. Glendalough apparently means glen of two lakes; they are both beautiful. The remains of a 6th century monastery are also located in Glendalough. They look very typical of what you would expect to find in Ireland and are very cool. I took some pictures of Celtic crosses in the graveyard, because I know my mom will like them ;)
We are going out tonight for Kelsey's birthday, which should be great. Unfortunately I am still feeling sick and cannot shake my cough. I know that everyone will tell me to see the doctor and I will soon if it does not get better. I would stay in tonight, but its Kelsey's 21, so I don't think thats really an option. I plan on sleeping late tomorrow though.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

OK, sounds great, can't wait to see pics, Happy 21st Kels! and GO TO THE DR!!!!!!Have a Czech medical adventure!

Daddy and I are in St. Augustine!

Love,
Mom